Chief Data Officer (CDO): to manage the data teams
The chief data officer, often abbreviated to CDO, is a company executive who is responsible for data. His general mission is to implement a global strategy to analyze and master data in order to exploit it. It is a position that generally requires between 5 and 10 years of experience in the data sector to be accessible.
Depending on the size of the company, the definition of this position can vary greatly. For example, if the data team is small, the latter may still be required to code, which will generally not be the case in a large data team.
- Leading the data management strategy: organizing data collection, providing access to data, popularizing the data strategy
- Help the company develop a data-driven strategy
- Ensure data quality, reliability and mapping
Its key competencies
- Very good knowledge of the data world, business intelligence and data analysis tools
- Expert in mathematics, statistics and analysis
- Good management skills
It is important to know that you don't usually become a Chief Data Officer the day you leave school, that's why these salaries are usually high, a CDO usually already has several years of experience in data
An inspiring chief data officer
Michel Lutz has been Chief Data Officer at TotalEnergies for several years. He communicates extensively on social networks about what TotalEnergies does in Data, allowing to popularize what is done in Data in general. At TotalEnergies, he is in charge of about 40 people who will help him to create a data culture in this company.